1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Battle for a New USMC .45

22K views 118 replies 51 participants last post by  LW McVay 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I didn't see the following article from The Marine Corps Times posted so thought I'd share it. The writer references the Shot Show, so it appears to be a recent article.

EDIT: Do not post copyrighted works to the forum

Mr. O

#2 ·
It would be a nice feather in Colt's cap if they were awarded the contract.

I looked at the MC Operator and the Colt Rail Gun before making my decision to saddle up the pony. I hope Uncle Sam's Misguided Children decide to ride the pony too. I doubt they will regret it.

Biker

#3 ·
I understand that the USMC has a complete Shop and Staff capable of doing whatever needs to be done to a .45

If they choose the rail gun, I would rather be pleased.

Now the comment about the rail, optics were somewhat confusing because the rail is on the bottom and your sights are up top.

I am concerned about corrosion even more now that they revealed from Colt that Civilian models of the Rail Gun did receive extra stainless steel internal parts to stop corrosion.

What parts were these? I am thinking of the big metal plate that is the sear for one and a few other metal parts inside the guts of the gun itself for two.

I am worried that the weapons may gag on some of the Hollow Point Military Ammo (If such a thing exists)

Thanks for the article and I look forward to seeing how it turns out.

#13 ·
I am worried that the weapons may gag on some of the Hollow Point Military Ammo (If such a thing exists)

Hollow points are banned. ( think it is by the Hague Convention of 1899
Declaration III - On the Use of Bullets Which Expand or Flatten Easily in the Human Body

#5 ·
Berryhill didn't submit.

Berryhill couldn't handle the production needs.

#7 ·
too bad kimber did not step up and bring back the det-1 (pistol they provided the MARSOC units around 2004). it is what led to the warrior but they are NOT the same.

i guess the solo was taking up all the r&d and business priorities. 'We cannot allocate time and resources to revisit building 6-10 prototypes of a high quality .45 pistol we did before, for a contract we may or may not be awarded. The Solo is a go! America will beat a path to our door for a 700.00 single stack pocket carry 9mm! Just the thing to break us out of the 1911 market! Wait till they see our 900.00 Glock clone!'

probably the two best implementations are under review. i have had a mc operator and a buddy has a rail gun. both are great platforms and much better than the loose rattletraps i carried while in the corps.

#10 ·
Colt provided 1911 pistols to the US military for over 40 years, so there's no reason why they couldn't do it gain. I just hope they took off all of those sharp edges! :eek:

I also wonder if they are Series 80 configuration or not.

#11 ·
If Colt received the Contract would we benefit from it in any way - specifically won't it be Colt Defense rather than Colt Manufacturing LLC that will produce the pistol.

#12 ·
Colt Defense and Colt's Manufacturing occupy the same building, separated by a chain-link fence. The funny thing is, Colt's 6920 AR is manufactured by Colt Defense and supposedly not sold directly to civilians, yet I can always find one for sale locally. On the other hand finding new Colt 1911 pistols is like searching for hens teeth. I never see them for sale, and they're supposed to be coming from their commercial line!

#16 ·
I'm a Springer guy... It would be nice if they ended up with a MC Op with the 10-8 treatment :rock:

Honestly I don't care who's name is on the slide. I'm just glad they are looking to the 1911 rather than the latest wonder gun.

#17 · (Edited)
Honestly I think they should concider looking outside of traditional gun companies and into the general manufacturing pool. A typewriter company banged out a 1/4 million units decent units before.

Delco, Sperry, Cardone, American Laser, Tupy, GE, Solar Atmopshere, Electric Boat, American Pipe, IQS Die. tell them what to build.

#19 ·
Well, whichever Builder gets the contract, it will probably mean fewer 1911's from that company will make it to "our" hands. But, that said it is refreshing to see a design that was considered old and useless 25 years ago by the powers that were, back kicking A** with government approval.

Vike

#20 ·
I have, and carry a full sized MC Operator every day. It is an excellent handgun. The FBI also untilizes Operators for their SWAT units. I had an FBI SWAT operator compare my civilian model to his high speed low drag version. He said that he couldn't tell any difference except that he liked the Pachmyr grips better than the Bureau's rosewood grips.

I own Colt's and SA 1911's. Those are my top two choices. I'm glad that they are possibly being considered for the job.

#22 ·
It simply means the closest civilian version will sell like hotcakes.

#25 ·
This.

As for which one. After paying more attention to what Colt has been doing with their machining, I am pulling for them. Their latest railed 1911 seemed pretty well thought out for a Colt.

I can't pick a logical reason why, and I am not a big fan of Colt generally, but I hope/think Colt gets it.

In the end, I am glad to see any service running a 1911.

Regards,
Greyson

#24 ·
At least the Colt's will be "Forged (and MADE) in USA" - not Brazil.

If the Marines want a 1911, it seems appropriate that they get one from the company they have the longest track record with - Colt. With the 100 year Anniversary upon us, it would just be "right" to have modern Marines "taking care of business" with the same brand they used so very effectively at Belleau Wood and Guadalcanal, Khe Sanh and a few other notable places. The Corps knows Colt very well.

Colt provided the Marines (and all our armed forces) a lot of weapons over their combined history since 1836. In modern times that included the Thompson Submachine Gun, the BAR, various Browning light and heavy machine guns, etc, etc. Not to mention the M16/M4 series, with over 8 Million units produced so far.

I'm sure Colt will provide a Series 70 version if common training/parts interchange with existing weapons is desired - it's the Marine's choice on features, of course.

Since the military didn't have much trouble with blued and parkerized carbon steel 1911s for most of a hundred years, I'd say that is nothing to worry about. And as far as "taking guns/service/etc from the commercial side" I don't really care - it may cause Colt to spend more on the handgun production lines and ultimately increase available output to the civilian market. Besides, I want our Warriors to have first call on the best gun they can get - they deserve priority. I'll wait. CC

#28 ·
At least the Colt's will be "Forged (and MADE) in USA" - not Brazil. CC
This it what tips the scales heavily towards Colt in my opinion. MADE here, from start to finish. Not forged overseas, and finished here. I have a problem with any military equipment being manufactures overseas and subject to stability of a foreing government. Although the initial contract is for 12k units, it could potentialy grow. If for some unforseen reason Brazil becomes annoyed with the US, the tooling is inaccessable and SA can't fufill the contract.
Im not a huge fan of the Colt tan finish, its a recent fad based on the current wars. A black or grey would be more appropriaten in the long term. I also hope Colt brings their best to this product if they get the contract. I had 5 out of 36 M4 selector switches snap off in the first week out of the box.

#29 · (Edited)
rlh2, Those photos look exactly like mine, only yours is painted tan.

They look REALLY good the only difference I could see are in the grips and the trigger has no holes in it.

And the other difference seems that you got Trijicon Sights front and rear instead of Novak. I cannot read the side numbers that small on there, but which kind of Trijicon did you put on and what colors?

And indeed, I wanted to keep the dollars here in the USA, that is why I chose this Colt at the store.

#33 ·
I don't have 400 yards to shoot in.

40 yards maybe but that's it.

50 yards is medium shotgun (Slugs) country for me and 150 to 300 yards is adequate for me on a carbine or rifle. I have not owned one in a long time and am considering one right now.

It is nice that people can make a handgun to hit a target at 400 yards, but as far as I am concerned a Marine is going to be on target at that distance with his rifle. From the Commandant all the way down to newly graduated Marines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.