1911Forum banner

SIG vs Kimber

56K views 38 replies 35 participants last post by  Doug570 
#1 ·
I am looking for a 1911 that has had the "carry melt", has the commander type upper and the short handled receiver of the officers. I am stuck between the Kimber CDP II compact, and a SIG 1911 RCS. They both have all the features I want. I like the 30 lines per inch checkering on the Kimber better than the 20 lines per inch on the SIG. From the specs I've read, both have Stainless fire control parts and very little mim, however mim doesn't bother me that much. I have a pretty good background in metals. The SIG is cheaper. Any advice between the 2 would be appreciated. And, yes I've narrowed it down to these 2 models. It is a carry only pistol. Shoot it enough to get used to it, then manily carry it. Also, any comments on the external extractor on the SIG.

Thanks,

Mark

#31 ·
I have 2 Kimberly Ultras and a sig tacops carry. Use my sig at the range and love it. carry it occasionally. My EDC is my Kimber Raptor Ultra. I really like both but I would say the Sig is the better value. The steel framed Sig shoots like a dream but is a bit heavy for EDC.

#32 ·
I had this same decision to make today. I purchased a Sig TACOPS Carry with threaded barrel a couple of weeks ago. Aside from the heavy weight (even with a good blade tech belt), it was extremely hard to find holsters for. I sold it and ended up getting a Kimber Pro Eclipse Custom Shop. It was an extremely beautiful gun, but it just did not fill that "hols in my heart". I sold it and was planning on buying a Kimber Series I CDP Pro Compact Custom Shop. I looked it over really good, and for a 13 year old gun, it was in almost new condition. Then I saw the Sig RCS. After I went home and did research on both, I decided to get the Sig RCS. It was a tough decision, but I like the lines of the Sig better, and the trusted Sig reputation for out of the box reliability and quality. I am very happy with my decision.

#33 ·
I have a SIG Stainless RCS and Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II. I love range time with my SIG; it is just super comfortable to shoot. I bought the Kimber Ultra for carry and am very happy with it. Being a lefty, the ambi-safety was important to me, and SIG has yet to offer that in their Ultra models. I think both companies make excellent products with great quality and performance.

A couple of things I will point out, are that the warranty from SIG is excellent compared to some others. I have had warranty work done with SIG and they were 1st class. The other thing is that field stripping the SIG RCS is a breeze, whereas the Kimber Ultra with the captured spring can be a pain. I went ahead an bought the NDZ Performance tool, which makes it a snap to field strip the Kimber Ultra, but really wish Kimber included such a tool. I don't think you could go wrong with either choice, but for the money, the SIG RCS is hard to beat. :)

#35 ·
Of the two you list I would choose the SIG. I am not a fan of Kimbers grip safety. I have medium to large hands and use a high thumb hold over the thumb safety. The grip safety on a Kimber will not reliably disengage for me. (It is not the sensitivity of the safety itself).

#38 ·
I don't have either of these 1911's. Going back 15 years ago or so on the gun forums i was on, it was always a 50-50 chance you got a reliable, proper functioning Kimber. It was common knowledge back then that Kimber had the worst quality control in the firearms bussness. Also the boys would whine how they sent them back to Kimber 2 or 3 times and they still weren't repaired properly, and had the same problem. I know that was a long time ago, with lots of water under the bridge. Things with Kimber QC might be the best in the business now. I raised my son to buy once and buy right. I am just throwing this out, i have no axe to grind with Kimber, just don't want the OP to out smart himself.

#39 ·
Have the Sig C3 and Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry. Both are super reliable and accurate. They function flawlessly. The Kimber is slightly lighter and has a slight advantage in balance due to the 3" bbl vs the 4.2" bbl but it isn't real noticeable. Its what you get used to. Both are great guns. If I had to have only one I would go with the compact Sig or C3 Sig although the Kimber is my daily carry gun. LOL go figure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.