1911Forum banner

Some BHP leather

218K views 434 replies 131 participants last post by  reiver1 
#1 · (Edited)
It's been a long time since I posted here with anything resembling regularity. I'm hoping to change that.

I took up leatherwork a couple of years ago, so I thought I'd share some pics of what's been occupying my time. :)

Wes

See less See more
#334 · (Edited)
absolutely beautiful work gents. How on earth are you getting such definition on the moulding?

I love how low some of those would ride.. Looks like you got the graphic sorted.. are you selling them now? If so, do you have a website?

This is my current bhp leather.

it rides a little higher, but I love how thin it is too

#335 ·
absolutely beautiful work gents. How on earth are you getting such definition on the moulding?
I used to really struggle with the molding process. I've learned that it's a combination of practice, properly casing the leather before molding, and using good leather.

I love how low some of those would ride.. Looks like you got the graphic sorted.. are you selling them now? If so, do you have a website?
I'm not sure if you're referring to me or not. If not, just ignore me. :dope: :)

I do indeed sell them -- My website will actually have its 3rd birthday in April. You can find it at http://www.privateerleather.com.

Geez, it's hard to believe it's been that long... It has been quite a journey!

#337 ·
Thanks! The molding step used to be a source of anxiety for me. It is (in my opinion) the most difficult step in the whole process, and so easy to screw up. I've finally gotten to a point where it doesn't cause me distress. :)

Does your brother happen to live in the Great White North?

#342 ·
I ordered this from Wes a year and a half ago. I've carried this daily since the day it arrived as is probably evident in the picture. The quality of the picture is poor but the leather (and the BHP) are certainly not.

I never regret paying for quality. This is a perfect example of proven, worn in quality for those of you considering a new purchase.

Thumbs up to Privateer and I hope it doesn't hurt to see your leather a bit worn in Wes!

#345 ·
For anyone who might be interested, I have several items that are in-stock and ready to ship. That's kind of unusual for me, since most of my stuff is made-to-order. You can take a peek at them here: https://www.privateerleather.com/in-stock-items

Also, I have a new color offering: Royal Blue. It's a little off-the-wall, but I think I like it. :)

Attachments

#347 ·
I had Privateer make a holster for my VP9. He actually contacted me when he got the mold in it was so soon after the VP9s release.

I love it! Cordovan and hides it well under my big T-shirts. Now I'm about to have him make me one for my Hi-Power I just got. ( should have never left the design I love so much to begin with...)

#349 ·
I don't work with exotics that often. It kind of feels like a special occasion when I do, so I thought I'd share these.

Here is a Highwayman with shark trim for a Hi Power.

And here is a Highwayman with shark trim for a 5" 1911.

Attachments

#350 ·
El Paso Saddlery Cross Cover

I just received a new El Paso Saddlery cross draw holster made to fit my Browning 40 cal hi power with adjustable sites. I ordered the optional lining ($35) -- the total cost including shipping was $120,50. Plain leather no floral or other decorative finish-Black

Very impressive. Fits like a glove and carries very nicely. Very comfortable and conceals well under my suit coat. Its great while driving or sitting down.
My Browning has a Cylinder & Slide trigger job and is a real tack driver.

El Paso fitted the holster to the Hi Power dimensions which are not exactly the same as a 1911. Took about 5 weeks to get it. I now have 3 El Paso Holsters-the other two are an Austin and a Tanker for colt 1911's. I am extremely impressed with their quality of materials, workmanship and attention to detail.

Here is a link if your interested in a crossdraw style holster. They make them for all kinds of pistols and revolvers.

http://epsaddlery.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/elpasosaddlery_cross_cover.jpg

Von

#353 ·
Most of my earlier patterns were designed when I was still stitching by hand, so lately I have been updating them as time permits. This one was the first one to be completed.

This is the new and improved Buccaneer. I tweaked it so that it rides slighly lower than before (about 1/4"). It also has a wider, stronger body shield, which also protects against being jabbed by some of the more aggressive rear sights, and it now also allows me to make this model with an extended body shield (to cover the hammer & beavertail) if desired.

I'm happy with how it has turned out. :)

Attachments

#356 ·
Privateer Navigant for 40 Hi Power

Just want Wes and the forum know
That I just received the natural finish
Navigant owb for my 40 Hi Power
That has adjustable sights. Front sight is pretty high. The navigant
Wes made looks and fits great
The materials and workmanship is superb. I am wearing it ontop of a white dress shirt with a sport coat over it. Conceals great. Great combo
For the Hi Power.

Recommend it and his other products
For someone who wants to comfortably
Conceal and carry a Hi Power

One of my friends was so impressed
He ordered a Highwayman for his
Ruger commander.

Thank you Wes for a great product made in the USA

Von

#362 ·
Just recently, I started trying to learn stamping and tooling/carving leather. I've got a long way to go, but I'm having fun.

I realized I didn't have a holster for my slab-sided FM Hi Power clone, so I made this. It's a Highwayman, but with basketweave on the reinforcement panel.

I had an unneeded Highwayman pattern for a Glock 19/23 sitting around, so just for giggles, I did it to this one too.

And lastly, here's a coaster I made for myself. :D

Attachments