Kimber 10mm question - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-19-2017, 03:14 AM

Kimber 10mm question

I have purchased a Kimber TLE/RL II. I love 10mm. However, I have tons of 40 S&W ammo from some bad mistakes of liking the 40 at one point. Since the 10mm is just a longer 40, could I put in a 40 1911 barrel into my Kimber and it work? Also 10mm is really expensive to shoot compared to 40 and since my wallet is crying from my Kimber purchase, I'd like to save a few bucks.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:51 AM

I am not a gunsmith but I saw on the "Parts" section of gun companies that the .40sw extractor and 10mm extractor have different part numbers. So I am thinking you may have a problem extracting spent cases.

also firing pin of 10mm has a different part number. I am thinking that since it 10mm is a longer casing, it will need a shorter firing pin.

experts correct me if I am wrong since I am new to 1911's
Old 06-19-2017, 10:24 AM

The difference in part numbers is probably due to the fact that the 10mm is a higher pressure round. I've seen videos on youtube of people shooting 40 s&w out of 10mm guns without incident but I wouldn't recommend it. Having a 40 barrel would mitigate most risks but legally speaking; have a proper gunsmith fit and check the barrel before shooting.

40 is just 10mm short

Old 06-19-2017, 11:52 AM

Tuba, haven't done a 10MM/.40 conversion, but have done more than one 38 Super/9MM conversion that functioned flawlessly. I have owned and reloaded for both 10MM and .40 S&W pistols. IF I were interested in the conversion you asked about, I would fit, or have fitted,a .40 barrel and go from there. Thing is,while some of these conversions are not very complicated, they may require some tuning once the parts are installed. This fine tuning benefits from having someone familiar with 1911 work in various calibers. While dedicated .40 S&W magazines might be beneficial, and a different recoil spring, I question the need for different extractors, ejectors, firing pins, etc. You might want to discuss this conversion with a gunsmith you trust. Don Williams of action works, Chino Valley, AZ. might be a good man to talk to. You might call Kimber too. For about $400.00 or so they might provide and fit a .40 barrel for you.......

BTW, When I did my 38S/9MM conversions, I used dedicated magazines, but the same extractors, ejectors, firing pins, recoil springs, etc.

Last edited by Rock185; 06-19-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Old Today, 07:35 AM

"The .40 S&W case length and overall cartridge length are shortened, but other dimensions except case web and wall thickness remain identical to the 10mm Auto. Both cartridges headspace on the mouth of the case. Thus in a semi-auto they are not interchangeable. Fired from a 10mm semi-auto, the .40 Smith & Wesson cartridge will headspace on the extractor and the bullet will jump a 0.142 inches (3.6 mm) freebore just like a .38 Special fired from a .357 Magnum revolver. If the cartridge is not held by the extractor, the chances for a ruptured primer are great." Quoted from Wikipedia.
Old Today, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbman View Post
"The .40 S&W case length and overall cartridge length are shortened, but other dimensions except case web and wall thickness remain identical to the 10mm Auto. Both cartridges headspace on the mouth of the case. Thus in a semi-auto they are not interchangeable. Fired from a 10mm semi-auto, the .40 Smith & Wesson cartridge will headspace on the extractor and the bullet will jump a 0.142 inches (3.6 mm) freebore just like a .38 Special fired from a .357 Magnum revolver. If the cartridge is not held by the extractor, the chances for a ruptured primer are great." Quoted from Wikipedia.
This right here is exactly why doing that is not a good idea. I know one guy that does this with a Glock 20. He sees no problem in doing that at all, but he is kind of an dipwad.

The point is that it would probably work, but it is not a good idea. You'd have better luck fitting up a .40 barrel.
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944