Newest m1911a1 bought by the government. - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-18-2017, 10:17 PM

Newest m1911a1 bought by the government.

I understand a majority of government contract pistols were purchased during 1911, world war 1, and world war 2. But what about other conflicts, and peace times? Is there any record of the most recent 1911s bought before the adoption of the Beretta? Thanks.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:48 AM
Administrator

The last ones purchased by the US government were shipped at the war's end in 1945. They continued to be used and rebuilt until the M9 replaced them. There were some Colt commercial pistols purchased by the New York National Guard during the Korean War to replace military ones recalled to service, but they may or may not count depending on your point of view.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1946 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:25 AM

Thanks, so the ones in surplus really are ancient.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:10 AM

Are you aware of other 1911 style pistols acquired by the USG? Strictly speaking, of course, they are not M1911A1s, however, you may be intersted in the M1911A2, M45, and various other commercial mfg types such as Para-Ordnance, etc, which have been used by DOD units.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter5 View Post
Are you aware of other 1911 style pistols acquired by the USG? Strictly speaking, of course, they are not M1911A1s, however, you may be intersted in the M1911A2, M45, and various other commercial mfg types such as Para-Ordnance, etc, which have been used by DOD units.
No, I remember the M45 being a big deal, but the others do not sound familiar.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:53 AM
Administrator

As shooter5 mentioned there were various small purchases in more recent years (since the 1990s) that don't technically count as M1911A1s but nonetheless were 1911-type .45 pistols. Kimbers, Springfields, and yes of course the M45A1. Virtually all of these were for various special forces like MEU, MARSOC and DET-1 and were not standard issue to anyone else.

These days it can be very hard to determine what constitutes an "official" handgun of the US military because once again everyone seems to be going their own way and buying what they want. Not long after the Beretta M9 supposedly became the "One To Rule Them All" and replace everything in the system the Navy SEALS had issues with theirs, said to Hell with it and purchased SIG P226s instead. Then out came the crew-served MK Mark 23 for SOCOM. Then MEU/SOC decided they wanted to stay with the 1911 and had PWS build up some nice ones using existing GI receivers. And of course nowadays some Marines are carrying Glock 19s. I don't know who's going to get the new SIG P320/M17 besides the Army because it seems everyone else has already picked out their favorite.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1946 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
As shooter5 mentioned there were various small purchases in more recent years (since the 1990s) that don't technically count as M1911A1s but nonetheless were 1911-type .45 pistols. Kimbers, Springfields, and yes of course the M45A1. Virtually all of these were for various special forces like MEU, MARSOC and DET-1 and were not standard issue to anyone else.

These days it can be very hard to determine what constitutes an "official" handgun of the US military because once again everyone seems to be going their own way and buying what they want. Not long after the Beretta M9 supposedly became the "One To Rule Them All" and replace everything in the system the Navy SEALS had issues with theirs, said to Hell with it and purchased SIG P226s instead. Then out came the crew-served MK Mark 23 for SOCOM. Then MEU/SOC decided they wanted to stay with the 1911 and had PWS build up some nice ones using existing GI receivers. And of course nowadays some Marines are carrying Glock 19s. I don't know who's going to get the new SIG P320/M17 besides the Army because it seems everyone else has already picked out their favorite.
Include the SIG M11; various Glocks besides the G19 in multiple calibers, models, as well as all the sizes; other HKs are available such as the USP series. A news report mentioned the 101st Airborne the first to receive the M17.
In my view, it can be said there is "official standard issue"...and then there continues to be an assortment of many makes & models. Confusing to say the least. Perhaps the M17 truly will become the 'the One to rule them all' due to its unique modularity. Will see.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2...l.html?ref=yfp
Old 06-19-2017, 02:17 PM

So the "grunts" are issued M9, and the p320.While the more "professional" soldiers get to pick and choose what they carry. Is there some sort of approved handgun list? Because there is such a large variety of pistols being purchased.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNHipowerluv View Post
So the "grunts" are issued M9, and the p320.While the more "professional" soldiers get to pick and choose what they carry. Is there some sort of approved handgun list? Because there is such a large variety of pistols being purchased.
No list, just a pool a dark money that never gets audited. I'm actually totally fine with Seals, Recon, MARSOC picking what they like. I'm not mincing dollars when the operator risks his life perpetually and knows how to use every major handgun on Earth. If the man can kill the enemy more effectively and reliably with pistol X, I'm all for it.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter5 View Post
Perhaps the M17 truly will become the 'the One to rule them all' due to its unique modularity. Will see.
I was just thinking this morning that the new P320/M17 is going to be really easy for folks to steal. Take that little modular chassis out, ship or smuggle it home and few people besides us gun nuts are even going to realize that it's a firearm. Then jump on Midway or Brownells and buy the parts to rebuild it. I'm betting that the first big piece of news we'll hear regarding this pistol will be that thousands of them have gone missing.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:13 PM

free choice taste is not debateable. I pack some form of the 1911 all the time.
sometimes I carry a spare that is NOT a 1911. I am fexible. There may come time when I pack a Glock-19 or a Sig 226 but as long as I have a reasonable choice and my belief in the rule of THREE --- i'LL PACK A 1911. iN A WEEK i'LL BE 83 YRS OLD. i STILL PREFER THE 1911. RIGHT NOW- A SPRINGER R/O compact (4 inch) 45 ACP
Old 06-19-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
I was just thinking this morning that the new P320/M17 is going to be really easy for folks to steal. Take that little modular chassis out, ship or smuggle it home and few people besides us gun nuts are even going to realize that it's a firearm. Then jump on Midway or Brownells and buy the parts to rebuild it. I'm betting that the first big piece of news we'll hear regarding this pistol will be that thousands of them have gone missing.
I have heard stories of men that stole m1 carbines from government arsenals. These guns do sound easy to steal. But I would hate to go to a military prison, for it.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:05 PM

When I first went in the US Navy the 1911 still was the standard side arm. Then when in Special Boat Unit XI we had the Sig Sauer and a different M-60 the barrel was shorter to cut down on weight we had a 60mm mortar that could be drop fired or triggered fired remember this is mounted for a PBR and the front twin 50 machine guns in the front gun tub of one of our patrol boats had a electric solenoid built into the receiver you hook a wire to and press a button to fire we called it auto electric. The gunner mates that took care of the armory use to get sent to crane Indiana were the US Navy use to keep the Navy's small arms for training they said they had ma deuce 50 cal still in the crates brand new from WW2 and other weapons the story's they use to tell when they came back from training. The last unit I was with MIUW 103 went there due to base closures we had the Beretta did see a lot's of changes in side arms in the 22 years in the Navy. I heard Crane Indiana no more.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBUXI View Post
When I first went in the US Navy the 1911 still was the standard side arm. Then when in Special Boat Unit XI we had the Sig Sauer and a different M-60 the barrel was shorter to cut down on weight we had a 60mm mortar that could be drop fired or triggered fired remember this is mounted for a PBR and the front twin 50 machine guns in the front gun tub of one of our patrol boats had a electric solenoid built into the receiver you hook a wire to and press a button to fire we called it auto electric. The gunner mates that took care of the armory use to get sent to crane Indiana were the US Navy use to keep the Navy's small arms for training they said they had ma deuce 50 cal still in the crates brand new from WW2 and other weapons the story's they use to tell when they came back from training. The last unit I was with MIUW 103 went there due to base closures we had the Beretta did see a lot's of changes in side arms in the 22 years in the Navy. I heard Crane Indiana no more.
NSA Crane, near Bloomington, IN is still there. Its function is still the same as quoted, if not expanded since the time you mention.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadderCo2 View Post
NSA Crane, near Bloomington, IN is still there. Its function is still the same as quoted, if not expanded since the time you mention.
This is true. I happen to hear a story that #16 Colt 1911 was recently found in a crate. Sadly no pics to confirm.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:29 AM

The FBI Springfield Armory Custom Shop Professional contract .

A smaller contract Delta force contract with Springfield Armory Custom Shop .
Old 06-20-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howe.45ACP View Post
This is true. I happen to hear a story that #16 Colt 1911 was recently found in a crate. Sadly no pics to confirm.
#16! When is the last time they opened that crate?! It would not surprise me if some of these places still had M1903s, and Krags in storage...
Old 06-20-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNHipowerluv View Post
#16! When is the last time they opened that crate?! It would not surprise me if some of these places still had M1903s, and Krags in storage...
The crate with #16 also has a long gun in it that's older than the pistol.Several of the crates in storage are waiting for a museum who needs "certain items" for display. There's also a rumor of Saddam Hussein's gold plated pistols are stored there as well. I have family that works there. They haven't found Saddam's pistols yet tho.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:16 PM

Sounds like the warehouse at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark. I wonder what else they have in there?
Old 06-20-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigW View Post
Sounds like the warehouse at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark. I wonder what else they have in there?
The Holy Grail. Ok, I will be serious now. I would guess numerous pump shotguns from previous purchases (Winchester, Savage, Stevens, Remington,and Ithaca). Possibly revolvers (early Colt, and S&W double actions, m1917s, Victory models, maybe, but doubtful: Schofields, and SAAs.). The U.S government has purchased many commercial firearms throughout the years, anything could be buried in there.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:55 AM

There is something I have noticed about the people in these forums. I think it would be very easy for any of them to become archaeologists or museum curators. We all seem to have the love of the search for knowledge and finding lost pieces of history when it comes to guns. I know that all the weapons that I wind up with, I find out everything I can about them as soon as I can. I love to find the history on the old Mausers, Mosins and WWI and WWII rifles that my friends run across.

This warehouse that is talked about up here, I bet you could get volunteers from the people in this forum to go in and inventory every firearm there without asking twice.

But back to the original question in this, please consider also the .45s that were manufactured in the Philippines during WWII and after under contract to the US government. I seem to recall that some of these pistols would up in Vietnam and Israel during the 60's? Does anyone have any information on these .45's?