1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-17-2017, 10:26 PM

Weird skinny section of 9mm loaded slide - Pics added

What do you guys think of this slide?
The width of the slide wall at the slide stop is 0.113", opposite side is 0.145.
width at the breech face is 0.138 on slide stop side.

The channel width is consistent front to back at .638 (it doesn't bow in at the slide stop)
It's like there's a scallop out of the slide.
(parallels along each side of frame: )

What do y'all think?
Thanks,
-John

Last edited by jmx66; 06-18-2017 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:43 PM

I'd be on the phone with Springfield on Monday. They'll send you a return authorization and have you send it back. They'll likely fit a new slide to your frame.
1911s: Wilson Combat: Presidential Classic, Tactical Supergrade, Tactical Elite .38S, CQB 9mm, CQB Compact .38S Nighthawk: Bob Marvel .45 and .22 Ed Brown: Classic Custom, Exec Carry, Les Baer: UTC 1.5", TRS Springfield: Pro, Pro LR, Champ Oper Colt: ANVII 100th Anniv Ed Alchemy Custom: Full Custom, Springfield Loaded 9mm, Springfield Mil-Spec
On Order: Wilson EDC X9
Old 06-18-2017, 12:26 AM

Weird,now I am gonna have to check mine.

Old 06-18-2017, 12:38 AM

FUBAR'd.
Colt LWT Officers (Enhanced), Colt Clapp Commander, Colt Clapp CCO, STI Elektra (9x23 conv), Springfield LWT Compact compensated .45, Springfield LWT V10 Ultra (x2), Kimber Aegis Pro, Kimber Super Carry Custom, Sig P239 .357sig, Sig P220 9mm (now 9x23).
Old 06-18-2017, 03:38 AM

Yea SA should & prolly will, take care of that. That's some heavy handed work on a polishing wheel.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:27 AM

That is not from a polishing wheel. OP, what is the date of manufacture of the gun? If this is one of the newer "Made in USA" Springfields they should go back to IMEBL in Brasil. Also the fact that QC didn't catch and reject this slide BEFORE final machining was done is incredible.

Last edited by drail; 06-18-2017 at 08:31 AM.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:05 AM

Return to mothership.

NRA Life Member
RSO
Old 06-18-2017, 09:49 AM

I would bet $$$ that it had some kind of defect in the slide and that some well meaning employee tried to polish/sand it out, many years ago I spent some time in a sanding/polishing/painting dept and the radius there looks just like what the sanding/buffing wheels would produce if you got to aggressive. Call Springfield, explain it, send pictures, I'm sure they'll make it right. Bad thing is that once I get back home I'm gonna have to run to the safe and check mine. Let us know.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:10 AM

Warranty replacement. As also stated above they should go back to Imbel if this is what they are shipping now. Manufacturing flaw, Q.A. flaw, and if it was sold new this way the FFL should have caught it too. Date of manufacture ????
Old 06-18-2017, 10:14 AM

Thanks guys. The gun is a couple years old, it's "U.S." made i.e. NM serial and not marked Brazil.
I've had the gun for a couple years, I didn't notice it until I got it home. It's started bothering me more and more...
Will give SA a call.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:25 AM

Yep, that goes back.

www.hammondgunandtackle.com
Old 06-18-2017, 10:40 AM

Curious as to why everyone thinks it should go back. If the gun performs as advertised.....on what basis do you send it back??? OP didn't say the gun malfunctions, or is horribly inaccurate. So what is the complaint?? Because you don't like how it was machined??? Because you don't like how it looks???? Because .....???

I'd slit my wrists clean to the elbow before I'd be a customer service rep for a production 1911 company.

It's a $700 production gun, not a WC Supergrade.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
Curious as to why everyone thinks it should go back. If the gun performs as advertised.....on what basis do you send it back??? OP didn't say the gun malfunctions, or is horribly inaccurate. So what is the complaint?? Because you don't like how it was machined??? Because you don't like how it looks???? Because .....???

I'd slit my wrists clean to the elbow before I'd be a customer service rep for a production 1911 company.

It's a $700 production gun, not a WC Supergrade.
If you buy a new car and later notice a dent on one of the fenders what would you do? Doesn't matter whether it's a Bentley or a Beetle. Don't you think it should be fixed even though the dent is only cosmetic?
Old 06-18-2017, 11:57 AM

I have to agree with drail on this, how did that ever get through QC, unbelievable!
Old 06-18-2017, 12:54 PM

I'm betting that Springfield will make it right.

And looking at that picture, that isn't right.

"Not Right" is just that.

Doesn't matter if it's an inexpensive or expensive item.

Last edited by NonHyphenAmerican; 06-18-2017 at 12:57 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:47 PM

JMX66 :

How does it shoot and perform would be my question . Looks like that
slide had some hand fitting already by the number 108 marked in the
slide . Yes SA should fix it but do they need to ? is the slide stop not
engaging correctly or are their abnormal ware marks somewhere . It's
your pistol so do what you want . Ether way is the right way .
Old 06-18-2017, 06:14 PM

It is obviously a special edition High Speed Low Drag pistol.
The narrowed slide is an application of the Area Rule used to design delta wing aircraft, and improves air flow as the slide travels.

Right.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmx66 View Post
Thanks guys. The gun is a couple years old, it's "U.S." made i.e. NM serial and not marked Brazil.
I've had the gun for a couple years, I didn't notice it until I got it home. It's started bothering me more and more...
Will give SA a call.
Ummm, you have had several years to decide that the "finish" of the gun is not pleasing to you. I'd give you the benefit of the doubt for the first 30 to 60 days. Now not so much. Once you take delivery of a car and drive it off the lot and ( much ) later find a dent in the door or fender, you need to call your insurance company not the dealer.
Joe
Old 06-18-2017, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
It is obviously a special edition High Speed Low Drag pistol.
The narrowed slide is an application of the Area Rule used to design delta wing aircraft, and improves air flow as the slide travels.

Right.

So true its like a lightened up Special custom slide .. Its a cheater gun .
Old 06-18-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denstoe View Post
If you buy a new car and later notice a dent on one of the fenders what would you do? Doesn't matter whether it's a Bentley or a Beetle. Don't you think it should be fixed even though the dent is only cosmetic?
We can do the car analogy if you like.

I don't take my new car apart and look for dents inside the door. That's what's happening here.

The cosmetic defect defense might apply if you could see a cosmetic defect on the exterior of the gun. But the OP doesn't see anything unless the gun is taken apart.

Where does the line get drawn?? Are internal tool marks acceptable on a $700 production gun?? What about peening marks on a link pin??? Where does it stop???

Last edited by TRSOtto; 06-18-2017 at 07:06 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy1911 View Post
JMX66 :

How does it shoot and perform would be my question . Looks like that
slide had some hand fitting already by the number 108 marked in the
slide . Yes SA should fix it but do they need to ? is the slide stop not
engaging correctly or are their abnormal ware marks somewhere . It's
your pistol so do what you want . Ether way is the right way .
Hey Billy,
Gun shoots and functions flawlessly. And it really hasn't bothered me much. Was just curious what you guys thought of it and what might have caused it.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Rogers View Post
Ummm, you have had several years to decide that the "finish" of the gun is not pleasing to you. I'd give you the benefit of the doubt for the first 30 to 60 days. Now not so much. Once you take delivery of a car and drive it off the lot and ( much ) later find a dent in the door or fender, you need to call your insurance company not the dealer.
Joe
Hi Joe,
I get what you mean. Honestly, it didn't bother me much until a buddy of mine said "dude! you're slide's dented". Now I'm all self-conscious.

It is a lifetime warranty against defects in materials and workmanship and this would seem to fall into the latter category.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Hi Joe,
I get what you mean. Honestly, it didn't bother me much until a buddy of mine said "dude! you're slide's dented". Now I'm all self-conscious.

It is a lifetime warranty against defects in materials and workmanship and this would seem to fall into the latter category.
I agree.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:58 PM

As the OP says...

Quote:
Will give SA a call.
That must have been some long drive home!

I would like to think I would have caught something like that when I would have broken it down for cleaning and lubrication when I got home from the gun shop. I'd at least give Springfield a ring, e-mail a photo, and see what they say...
Old 06-18-2017, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
We can do the car analogy if you like.

I don't take my new car apart and look for dents inside the door. That's what's happening here.

The cosmetic defect defense might apply if you could see a cosmetic defect on the exterior of the gun. But the OP doesn't see anything unless the gun is taken apart.

Where does the line get drawn?? Are internal tool marks acceptable on a $700 production gun?? What about peening marks on a link pin??? Where does it stop???
Take a closer look at the pics. The defect is on the outside of the gun.

Here is his pic again. See the gap between the red line and the outside wall of the slide below the arrows.

Last edited by remanaz; 06-18-2017 at 11:28 PM.