Weird skinny section of 9mm loaded slide - must see - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise


Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-17-2017, 10:26 PM
jmx66 jmx66 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: California
Age: 51
Posts: 533
Weird skinny section of 9mm loaded slide - Pics added

What do you guys think of this slide?
The width of the slide wall at the slide stop is 0.113", opposite side is 0.145.
width at the breech face is 0.138 on slide stop side.

The channel width is consistent front to back at .638 (it doesn't bow in at the slide stop)
It's like there's a scallop out of the slide.
(parallels along each side of frame: )


What do y'all think?
Thanks,
-John

Last edited by jmx66; 06-18-2017 at 10:16 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-17-2017, 10:43 PM
Live2Ride Live2Ride is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Aiken, SC
Posts: 7,443
I'd be on the phone with Springfield on Monday. They'll send you a return authorization and have you send it back. They'll likely fit a new slide to your frame.
__________________
1911s: Wilson Combat: Presidential Classic, Tactical Supergrade, Tactical Elite .38S, CQB 9mm, CQB Compact .38S Nighthawk: Bob Marvel .45 and .22 Ed Brown: Classic Custom, Exec Carry, Les Baer: UTC 1.5", TRS Springfield: Pro, Pro LR, Champ Oper Colt: ANVII 100th Anniv Ed Alchemy Custom: Full Custom, Springfield Loaded 9mm, Springfield Mil-Spec
On Order: Wilson EDC X9
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-18-2017, 12:26 AM
9mm Colt 9mm Colt is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 220
Weird,now I am gonna have to check mine.
Reply With Quote
 
  #4  
Old 06-18-2017, 12:38 AM
emptymag emptymag is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Iowa
Posts: 2,631
FUBAR'd.
__________________
Colt LWT Officers (Enhanced), Colt Clapp Commander, Colt Clapp CCO, STI Elektra (9x23 conv), Springfield LWT Compact compensated .45, Springfield LWT V10 Ultra (x2), Kimber Aegis Pro, Kimber Super Carry Custom, Sig P239 .357sig, Sig P220 9mm (now 9x23).
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-18-2017, 03:38 AM
Howe.45ACP Howe.45ACP is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Ky
Age: 38
Posts: 1,043
Yea SA should & prolly will, take care of that. That's some heavy handed work on a polishing wheel.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-18-2017, 08:27 AM
drail drail is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 11,173
That is not from a polishing wheel. OP, what is the date of manufacture of the gun? If this is one of the newer "Made in USA" Springfields they should go back to IMEBL in Brasil. Also the fact that QC didn't catch and reject this slide BEFORE final machining was done is incredible.

Last edited by drail; 06-18-2017 at 08:31 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-18-2017, 09:05 AM
yeti yeti is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,615
Return to mothership.
__________________

NRA Life Member
RSO
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-18-2017, 09:49 AM
passx passx is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 87
I would bet $$$ that it had some kind of defect in the slide and that some well meaning employee tried to polish/sand it out, many years ago I spent some time in a sanding/polishing/painting dept and the radius there looks just like what the sanding/buffing wheels would produce if you got to aggressive. Call Springfield, explain it, send pictures, I'm sure they'll make it right. Bad thing is that once I get back home I'm gonna have to run to the safe and check mine. Let us know.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-18-2017, 10:10 AM
denstoe denstoe is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Age: 68
Posts: 322
Warranty replacement. As also stated above they should go back to Imbel if this is what they are shipping now. Manufacturing flaw, Q.A. flaw, and if it was sold new this way the FFL should have caught it too. Date of manufacture ????
__________________
Dennis
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-18-2017, 10:14 AM
jmx66 jmx66 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: California
Age: 51
Posts: 533
Thanks guys. The gun is a couple years old, it's "U.S." made i.e. NM serial and not marked Brazil.
I've had the gun for a couple years, I didn't notice it until I got it home. It's started bothering me more and more...
Will give SA a call.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-18-2017, 10:25 AM
Hammond's Avatar
Hammond Hammond is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southwest Virginia
Posts: 5,492


Yep, that goes back.
__________________
Hammond's Gun & Tackle
Dealer for Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, Les Baer

www.hammondgunandtackle.com
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-18-2017, 10:40 AM
TRSOtto TRSOtto is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 8,841
Curious as to why everyone thinks it should go back. If the gun performs as advertised.....on what basis do you send it back??? OP didn't say the gun malfunctions, or is horribly inaccurate. So what is the complaint?? Because you don't like how it was machined??? Because you don't like how it looks???? Because .....???

I'd slit my wrists clean to the elbow before I'd be a customer service rep for a production 1911 company.

It's a $700 production gun, not a WC Supergrade.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-18-2017, 11:06 AM
denstoe denstoe is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Age: 68
Posts: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
Curious as to why everyone thinks it should go back. If the gun performs as advertised.....on what basis do you send it back??? OP didn't say the gun malfunctions, or is horribly inaccurate. So what is the complaint?? Because you don't like how it was machined??? Because you don't like how it looks???? Because .....???

I'd slit my wrists clean to the elbow before I'd be a customer service rep for a production 1911 company.

It's a $700 production gun, not a WC Supergrade.
If you buy a new car and later notice a dent on one of the fenders what would you do? Doesn't matter whether it's a Bentley or a Beetle. Don't you think it should be fixed even though the dent is only cosmetic?
__________________
Dennis
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-18-2017, 11:57 AM
Tenring1911 Tenring1911 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Arizona
Posts: 493
I have to agree with drail on this, how did that ever get through QC, unbelievable!
__________________
Many would still be alive if not for Gun Free Zones.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-18-2017, 12:54 PM
NonHyphenAmerican NonHyphenAmerican is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Hooterville in S.C. Kansas
Posts: 6,449
I'm betting that Springfield will make it right.

And looking at that picture, that isn't right.

"Not Right" is just that.

Doesn't matter if it's an inexpensive or expensive item.
__________________
I hope and pray that none may kill me, Nor I kill any, with woundings grim. But if ever any should think to kill me, I pray thee, God, let me kill him first
I leave this rule for others when I'm dead, Be always sure you're right THEN GO AHEAD! Davy Crockett

Last edited by NonHyphenAmerican; 06-18-2017 at 12:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-18-2017, 05:47 PM
Billy1911 Billy1911 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chicago Area Western Suburbs
Posts: 3,450
JMX66 :

How does it shoot and perform would be my question . Looks like that
slide had some hand fitting already by the number 108 marked in the
slide . Yes SA should fix it but do they need to ? is the slide stop not
engaging correctly or are their abnormal ware marks somewhere . It's
your pistol so do what you want . Ether way is the right way .
__________________
Obi-Wan Kenobi : Who's the more foolish? The fool, or the fool who follows him?
SACS-RO Champion / SACS -Mod Longslide / SACS TGO-1 / SACS Professional w/rail / SA TRP / Wilson CQB / Kimber CDP II / HK P30L / DW Target .
Lots and Lots of plastic army men with a Guns of Navarone play set / A huge Star Wars Clone Army fighting with the Jedi Pre-order 66
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-18-2017, 06:14 PM
Jim Watson Jim Watson is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Florence, Alabama, USA
Posts: 18,231
It is obviously a special edition High Speed Low Drag pistol.
The narrowed slide is an application of the Area Rule used to design delta wing aircraft, and improves air flow as the slide travels.

Right.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-18-2017, 06:22 PM
Jolly Rogers Jolly Rogers is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 3,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmx66 View Post
Thanks guys. The gun is a couple years old, it's "U.S." made i.e. NM serial and not marked Brazil.
I've had the gun for a couple years, I didn't notice it until I got it home. It's started bothering me more and more...
Will give SA a call.
Ummm, you have had several years to decide that the "finish" of the gun is not pleasing to you. I'd give you the benefit of the doubt for the first 30 to 60 days. Now not so much. Once you take delivery of a car and drive it off the lot and ( much ) later find a dent in the door or fender, you need to call your insurance company not the dealer.
Joe
__________________
1911
The instant emergency response number.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-18-2017, 06:57 PM
Billy1911 Billy1911 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chicago Area Western Suburbs
Posts: 3,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
It is obviously a special edition High Speed Low Drag pistol.
The narrowed slide is an application of the Area Rule used to design delta wing aircraft, and improves air flow as the slide travels.

Right.


So true its like a lightened up Special custom slide .. Its a cheater gun .
__________________
Obi-Wan Kenobi : Who's the more foolish? The fool, or the fool who follows him?
SACS-RO Champion / SACS -Mod Longslide / SACS TGO-1 / SACS Professional w/rail / SA TRP / Wilson CQB / Kimber CDP II / HK P30L / DW Target .
Lots and Lots of plastic army men with a Guns of Navarone play set / A huge Star Wars Clone Army fighting with the Jedi Pre-order 66
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-18-2017, 07:01 PM
TRSOtto TRSOtto is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 8,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by denstoe View Post
If you buy a new car and later notice a dent on one of the fenders what would you do? Doesn't matter whether it's a Bentley or a Beetle. Don't you think it should be fixed even though the dent is only cosmetic?
We can do the car analogy if you like.

I don't take my new car apart and look for dents inside the door. That's what's happening here.

The cosmetic defect defense might apply if you could see a cosmetic defect on the exterior of the gun. But the OP doesn't see anything unless the gun is taken apart.

Where does the line get drawn?? Are internal tool marks acceptable on a $700 production gun?? What about peening marks on a link pin??? Where does it stop???

Last edited by TRSOtto; 06-18-2017 at 07:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-18-2017, 07:22 PM
jmx66 jmx66 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: California
Age: 51
Posts: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy1911 View Post
JMX66 :

How does it shoot and perform would be my question . Looks like that
slide had some hand fitting already by the number 108 marked in the
slide . Yes SA should fix it but do they need to ? is the slide stop not
engaging correctly or are their abnormal ware marks somewhere . It's
your pistol so do what you want . Ether way is the right way .
Hey Billy,
Gun shoots and functions flawlessly. And it really hasn't bothered me much. Was just curious what you guys thought of it and what might have caused it.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-18-2017, 07:24 PM
jmx66 jmx66 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: California
Age: 51
Posts: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Rogers View Post
Ummm, you have had several years to decide that the "finish" of the gun is not pleasing to you. I'd give you the benefit of the doubt for the first 30 to 60 days. Now not so much. Once you take delivery of a car and drive it off the lot and ( much ) later find a dent in the door or fender, you need to call your insurance company not the dealer.
Joe
Hi Joe,
I get what you mean. Honestly, it didn't bother me much until a buddy of mine said "dude! you're slide's dented". Now I'm all self-conscious.

It is a lifetime warranty against defects in materials and workmanship and this would seem to fall into the latter category.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-18-2017, 08:59 PM
DubfromGa DubfromGa is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Georgia
Age: 48
Posts: 2,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmx66 View Post
Hi Joe,
I get what you mean. Honestly, it didn't bother me much until a buddy of mine said "dude! you're slide's dented". Now I'm all self-conscious.

It is a lifetime warranty against defects in materials and workmanship and this would seem to fall into the latter category.
I agree.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-18-2017, 09:58 PM
cwo4uscgret cwo4uscgret is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Midwest
Age: 64
Posts: 2,994
As the OP says...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmx66 View Post
Thanks guys. The gun is a couple years old, it's "U.S." made i.e. NM serial and not marked Brazil.
I've had the gun for a couple years, I didn't notice it until I got it home. It's started bothering me more and more...
Will give SA a call.
That must have been some long drive home!

I would like to think I would have caught something like that when I would have broken it down for cleaning and lubrication when I got home from the gun shop. I'd at least give Springfield a ring, e-mail a photo, and see what they say...
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-18-2017, 11:21 PM
remanaz remanaz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Mesa AZ
Age: 43
Posts: 3,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
We can do the car analogy if you like.

I don't take my new car apart and look for dents inside the door. That's what's happening here.

The cosmetic defect defense might apply if you could see a cosmetic defect on the exterior of the gun. But the OP doesn't see anything unless the gun is taken apart.

Where does the line get drawn?? Are internal tool marks acceptable on a $700 production gun?? What about peening marks on a link pin??? Where does it stop???
Take a closer look at the pics. The defect is on the outside of the gun.


Here is his pic again. See the gap between the red line and the outside wall of the slide below the arrows.

__________________
I am Pro MyLife. I carry a gun as part of my self preservation program.

Last edited by remanaz; 06-18-2017 at 11:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:37 PM.


NOTICE TO USERS OF THIS SITE: By continuing to use this site, you certify that you have read and agree to abide by the Legal Terms of Use. All information, data, text or other materials ("Content") posted to this site by any users are the sole responsibility of those users. 1911Forum does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2015 1911Forum.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved