Brass tumbling- does rifle brass take longer? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-16-2017, 04:14 PM

Brass tumbling- does rifle brass take longer?

I recently tumbled a few thousand .223 once- fired Federal cases and while they certainly cleaned up fine, they do not shine like all of the pistol brass I have cleaned using the exact same method (two cap- fulls of Frankfort Arsenal cleaner, tumbled in a Frankford Arsenal tumbler for 1 1/2 to 2 hours). ?? Because it is rifle brass and has a lot more surface area, does it have to tumble a lot longer? Does the tumbler have to be less filled than if tumbling pistol brass? I usually load the tumbler to 2/3 of its height.

Not all that big of a deal but I am surprised at the difference and while the brass is clean and perfectly usable, I am used to getting 'jewelry grade' shine basically by accident and at no extra cost. So where did the shine go?

Brian
Old 06-17-2017, 09:06 PM

Don't know for real but was told that rifle brass is a slightly different alloy make-up than handgun brass. I know mine don't all shine up, some does and some don't?
Springfield Armory 1911 Range Operator stainless 9mm
Ruger Mark IV Target in stainless
Old 06-17-2017, 09:50 PM

My rifle brass comes out clean (SS pins) and useable in 30 min and shiny in 90 min, if I put in the right mix. I use lemishine and soap. Not enough lemishine and they don't get shiny. Not familiar with the Franklin Arsenal fluid, but I do have to use more lemishine when there is more brass.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:47 AM

Did you clean off the case lube before tumbling.?

I do not have a wet tumbler so after sizing I put the brass in a bucket with a healthy sprinkle of citric acid powder. Then pour boiling water on top and swirl for 5 min. If it is a hot day then outside on a towel to dry or oven at150degrees for 20 min. After that it goes in the dry tumbler with ground walnut for a few hours. Not as shiny as a wet tumbler but a dam close second.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:07 AM

I wet tumble with Zip wash & wax and 1/4 TSP Lemi-Shine in a Thumlers model B. I haven't noticed any difference in the level of shine in pistol v. rifle cases. Both come out with a "jewelry" finish.

Not sure why you're seeing a difference but I'm not using the same cleaning agent as you are.

Bayou52
Old 06-18-2017, 11:04 AM

Thanks for the replies guys.

I did a little test yesterday; using already tumbled .223 brass (all I have now), I used hot water, filled the tumbler with brass, three cap- fulls of the Frankford cleaner and tumbled. At 30 min, they were pretty shiny.... not jewelry shiny as my pistol brass comes out entirely by accident but improved. Same batch at 45 min was starting to lose some luster and at one hour they were definitely pretty dull. ???

The only other thing going on is that this is once- fired range brass and are still wearing thier primers; the water comes out a tad dirty on the second cleaning so I think the primers are still giving up crud. Maybe that crud and whatever chemicals are still leaching from them are what is causing the loss of shine? I do give my pistol brass a fast tumble before resizing and de-capping but really do not remember if it comes out shiny 'cause it is going back into the tumbler anyway to clean out the primer pockets after de-capping. So I will de-cap some of this brass and hit it again, maybe that is the problem.

Brian
Old 06-19-2017, 05:24 AM

I tumble rifle and pistol brass for the same amount of time for both, from 9mm to 470 NE. After ~3-4 hours there's no difference I can see, even with magnification.

Sent from my PRC-25
Old 06-19-2017, 07:36 AM

I know if I only tumble brass, I get fantastic results. If there are a few nickel cases in there, the brass is dull.

NRA Life Member
Old 06-19-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911_user View Post
Thanks for the replies guys.

I did a little test yesterday; using already tumbled .223 brass (all I have now), I used hot water, filled the tumbler with brass, three cap- fulls of the Frankford cleaner and tumbled. At 30 min, they were pretty shiny.... not jewelry shiny as my pistol brass comes out entirely by accident but improved. Same batch at 45 min was starting to lose some luster and at one hour they were definitely pretty dull. ???

The only other thing going on is that this is once- fired range brass and are still wearing thier primers; the water comes out a tad dirty on the second cleaning so I think the primers are still giving up crud. Maybe that crud and whatever chemicals are still leaching from them are what is causing the loss of shine? I do give my pistol brass a fast tumble before resizing and de-capping but really do not remember if it comes out shiny 'cause it is going back into the tumbler anyway to clean out the primer pockets after de-capping. So I will de-cap some of this brass and hit it again, maybe that is the problem.

Brian
I punch out all primers before tumbling anything handgun or rifle using a decapping die.
Springfield Armory 1911 Range Operator stainless 9mm
Ruger Mark IV Target in stainless