SV infinity sight tracker vs. Atlas build - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise


Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-11-2017, 01:10 PM
BRJACKET BRJACKET is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 93
SV infinity sight tracker vs. Atlas build

I have been wanting an SV Infinity Sight Tracker for awhile. They don't show up in classifieds very often (especially in 9mm). I recently started looking at Atlas Gunworks and I am very impressed by what I see. They do build a site tracker variant but also are doing other interesting models. They are a little less expensive (not much though on a custom gun) and the build time is much better. Even though Atlas has some really cool looking builds, the Infinity is a better looking gun (in my opinion- though I might think differently in person). I believe that customer service at Atlas would be very good (don't know much about SV). SV has a very established track record. So I am trying to see how they would compare in:
1. Build quality
2. Customer service
3. Holding value
4. Intangibles
Since there is no way for me to hold or shoot them can anyone with experience weigh in?
My current experience is with Ed Brown Kobra Carry, STI Costa Carry Comp, DVC Carry, and DVC 3-gun.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-11-2017, 03:39 PM
combat auto combat auto is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7,336
Interesting, I like their custom-build tool, unlike SVI, the prices on each feature are itemized so one can see the exact cost of each. On SVI they are not. Casey will tell you over the phone, but bottom line is SVI provides one bottom-line price for the build essentially without itemization...Not familiar with Atlas at all, researched SVI extensively Q2'2016, my limited gun coming in August...I opted for many shootability enhancements but not the sight-tracker (just my view based on research I was exposed to, never tried one)...Looks like Atlas will save you say $1K vs SVI, I couldn't comment on relative quality, accuracy, shootability, etc. (but I do want to "listen in" to other's responses).
__________________
"To be born free is an accident. To live free is a responsibility. To die free is an obligation."-General Halley, USMC
"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." ľUlysses
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-11-2017, 04:35 PM
ortho32 ortho32 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,144
I have an svi in 9 with the sight tracker.
Very very nice gun
Was worth the wait
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0044.JPG   IMG_0042.JPG   IMG_0045.JPG  
Reply With Quote
 
  #4  
Old 06-11-2017, 09:49 PM
Front Royalty Front Royalty is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRJACKET View Post
I have been wanting an SV Infinity Sight Tracker for awhile. They don't show up in classifieds very often (especially in 9mm). I recently started looking at Atlas Gunworks and I am very impressed by what I see. They do build a site tracker variant but also are doing other interesting models. They are a little less expensive (not much though on a custom gun) and the build time is much better. Even though Atlas has some really cool looking builds, the Infinity is a better looking gun (in my opinion- though I might think differently in person). I believe that customer service at Atlas would be very good (don't know much about SV). SV has a very established track record. So I am trying to see how they would compare in:
1. Build quality
2. Customer service
3. Holding value
4. Intangibles
Since there is no way for me to hold or shoot them can anyone with experience weigh in?
My current experience is with Ed Brown Kobra Carry, STI Costa Carry Comp, DVC Carry, and DVC 3-gun.
Thanks!
Very few people here are probably even familiar with Atlas. Ive never seen/heard ANYONE complain about EITHER manufacturers. My opinion is that SVI is for people with money to blow on purely cosmetic lust, in addition to a magnificently engineered product. Atlas is everything an SVI is, without $2k in polishing and frame cuts.
__________________
USPSA A-99573
Limited Major
#1-Brazos STI Edge
#2-Para Pro Custom 16 40
180 gr Blue Bullet over 4.5gr Titegroup, 1.180 COAL
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-11-2017, 09:51 PM
BRJACKET BRJACKET is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 93
Thanks for the input!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-11-2017, 09:52 PM
Front Royalty Front Royalty is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ortho32 View Post
I have an svi in 9 with the sight tracker.
Very very nice gun
Was worth the wait
Very nice tool you have there. I'm sure you will attest SVI (Brandon) offers TOP NOTCH customer support.
__________________
USPSA A-99573
Limited Major
#1-Brazos STI Edge
#2-Para Pro Custom 16 40
180 gr Blue Bullet over 4.5gr Titegroup, 1.180 COAL
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-12-2017, 03:09 AM
combat auto combat auto is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Royalty View Post
Very few people here are probably even familiar with Atlas. Ive never seen/heard ANYONE complain about EITHER manufacturers. My opinion is that SVI is for people with money to blow on purely cosmetic lust, in addition to a magnificently engineered product. Atlas is everything an SVI is, without $2k in polishing and frame cuts.
Funny stereotype...One can easily opt-out of the $2K in SVI "Bling", I did and put it towards the options which enhance shootability, still, the price tag isn't for the faint of heart either way. And those Atlas Custom-Limited Guns ain't "that far" behind either.
__________________
"To be born free is an accident. To live free is a responsibility. To die free is an obligation."-General Halley, USMC
"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." ľUlysses
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-12-2017, 05:51 AM
dflat57 dflat57 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: North East
Posts: 55
Atlas Gunworks is currently building a Titan for me.

http://atlasgunworks.com/product/atl...imited-pistol/

It says it should ship in less than 2 months. My invoice says I paid on April 18th 2017, I received my digital receipt via email of the 24th of May, so I am expecting to hear from them next Monday or that following Monday. I spoke to Adam Nilson, the owner and CEO prior to putting in my order, he was very helpful on the phone. (Even though he sounded tired) He told me I would receive an email before the build was complete so they knew what FFL person to ship to and to give me a chance to buy more magazines, if I wanted. (Yes I do)

On their website, near the bottom page, they have it posted about how their build times are better than their competition. Between that and what the owner said to me on the phone, I am holding them to their word. Since they don't have much feedback around the web and different forums, I have to judge them based on what they tell me and how well they keep their promises.

I could have went with a 2011 from Brazos, Dawson or LimCat, I was even thinking about a company called Grundhauser Gunworks. But Atlas's videos on youtube, the build time and the manner in which they interact with the public via social media convinced me to give them a shot (no pun intended)

Atlas has a facebook page where they communicate with the public on a day to day bases. If I have any random question about their products, they will answer. I asked them what kind of ammo their 2011's favor and got a response in no time at all. All these little things matter....... And I'm watching!!!

I will keep this thread informed
__________________
Enjoy life. Be kind.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-12-2017, 10:28 AM
ken_mays ken_mays is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Memphis TN
Age: 47
Posts: 3,534
The primary difference is that Infinity makes every part on their guns, including the barrel. They have an enormous investment in machining centers, and a laundry list of innovations to the 1911 platform. They also have the longest experience with the 2011 platform considering Sandy Strayer (among others) invented the thing to begin with back in 1993. I think Virgil Tripp is the only person still in the business who would be able to make a similar claim, and I'm not sure he's building guns anymore.

Atlas is a custom builder much like CK, Cameron's, Akai, etc. They are using parts made by other firms, mostly Phoenix Trinity, which got into the STI frame cloning business 5 years or so ago. Atlas has been building guns for 3 years, by their own admission. Will they be around in another 3 years? Who knows?

Not to denigrate anyone or question the quality, but this is not an apples and oranges comparison.
__________________
http://www.guntechtips.com
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-12-2017, 02:57 PM
ortho32 ortho32 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Royalty View Post
Very nice tool you have there. I'm sure you will attest SVI (Brandon) offers TOP NOTCH customer support.
Agree
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-12-2017, 03:53 PM
combat auto combat auto is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_mays View Post
The primary difference is that Infinity makes every part on their guns, including the barrel. They have an enormous investment in machining centers, and a laundry list of innovations to the 1911 platform. They also have the longest experience with the 2011 platform considering Sandy Strayer (among others) invented the thing to begin with back in 1993. I think Virgil Tripp is the only person still in the business who would be able to make a similar claim, and I'm not sure he's building guns anymore.

Atlas is a custom builder much like CK, Cameron's, Akai, etc. They are using parts made by other firms, mostly Phoenix Trinity, which got into the STI frame cloning business 5 years or so ago. Atlas has been building guns for 3 years, by their own admission. Will they be around in another 3 years? Who knows?

Not to denigrate anyone or question the quality, but this is not an apples and oranges comparison.
Excellent post on the comparison.
__________________
"To be born free is an accident. To live free is a responsibility. To die free is an obligation."-General Halley, USMC
"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." ľUlysses
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-12-2017, 06:12 PM
MegaCleanCab MegaCleanCab is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sultan, WA
Posts: 141
I have an l custom built atlas idpa gun with an aluminum grip. Its the most accurate gun I own by far. I shot optics nationals in a squad with sponsored shooters one from atlas and one from SVI. The svi gun had a bunch of malfunctions and I do not recall the stale hun having any. The top shooters in my area are going atlas. They may not have been around long but their service is awesome. I got a full custom gun in 11 weeks. Svi may have a better brand awareness but Atlas guns will run.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-12-2017, 08:09 PM
ken_mays ken_mays is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Memphis TN
Age: 47
Posts: 3,534
Comp shooters aren't any more immune to New Toy syndrome than anyone else. A couple years ago around here it was FGW. Then CK. Then Akai. Some were happy with their guns and a few never did get them working to their satisfaction for whatever reasons.

All the old school comp guys I shoot with are familiar with SV and many have their reasons for dealing with them or not dealing with them, whether they feel they're too expensive, the didn't handle an issue the way they would have liked, or even that Sandy no longer personally answers the phone.

We're fortunate, as shooters, that the 2011 frame patent protection has expired and more good 2011s are being built than ever. Of course there were some bumps in the road, if you recall Legion, Predator Tactical, etc.
__________________
http://www.guntechtips.com
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-12-2017, 08:53 PM
ozy ozy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_mays View Post
The primary difference is that Infinity makes every part on their guns, including the barrel. They have an enormous investment in machining centers, and a laundry list of innovations to the 1911 platform. They also have the longest experience with the 2011 platform considering Sandy Strayer (among others) invented the thing to begin with back in 1993. I think Virgil Tripp is the only person still in the business who would be able to make a similar claim, and I'm not sure he's building guns anymore.

Atlas is a custom builder much like CK, Cameron's, Akai, etc. They are using parts made by other firms, mostly Phoenix Trinity, which got into the STI frame cloning business 5 years or so ago. Atlas has been building guns for 3 years, by their own admission. Will they be around in another 3 years? Who knows?

Not to denigrate anyone or question the quality, but this is not an apples and oranges comparison.
Very well put , Ken. Couldn't describe it better.defenitely not apples and oranges.
__________________
SIGS? LOTS.
STI TACTICALS 3.0,4.0, 5.0 ;2x STI EAGLE 5.0;2x STI EDGE H/C;STI HEXTAC FDE;STI LEGEND;STI ESCORT;3x STI MARAUDER;STI APIERO;STI DVC LTD: ;DVC 3GUNS;LTD;WC PROTECTOR2;WC CLASSIC SUPERGRADE;WC CQB ELITE FDE;EB SF;

Last edited by ozy; 06-12-2017 at 08:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-12-2017, 10:14 PM
dflat57 dflat57 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: North East
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaCleanCab View Post
I have an l custom built atlas idpa gun with an aluminum grip. Its the most accurate gun I own by far. I shot optics nationals in a squad with sponsored shooters one from atlas and one from SVI. The svi gun had a bunch of malfunctions and I do not recall the stale hun having any. The top shooters in my area are going atlas. They may not have been around long but their service is awesome. I got a full custom gun in 11 weeks. Svi may have a better brand awareness but Atlas guns will run.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good to hear from a person that has actually handled an Atlas and not someone that has never never seen the firearm from the company they claim won't be in business in 3 years.......

Hey look at that new car company, I have never seen, driven or even know anybody that owns that car, but I'll just bash it anyway. Its new, so compared to another car that hasn't been around that long either, it must be crap. There is no way that another company can make it close or better.

I could care less if Atlas is around this coming December. All I care about is my current build. The 2011 is rapidly becoming a popular platform, if a problem arises its not like nobody will know how to fix it. Idiotic, one-sided opinions
__________________
Enjoy life. Be kind.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-12-2017, 10:34 PM
ken_mays ken_mays is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Memphis TN
Age: 47
Posts: 3,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by dflat57 View Post
Good to hear from a person that has actually handled an Atlas and not someone that has never never seen the firearm from the company they claim won't be in business in 3 years.......

Hey look at that new car company, I have never seen, driven or even know anybody that owns that car, but I'll just bash it anyway. Its new, so compared to another car that hasn't been around that long either, it must be crap. There is no way that another company can make it close or better.

I could care less if Atlas is around this coming December. All I care about is my current build. The 2011 is rapidly becoming a popular platform, if a problem arises its not like nobody will know how to fix it. Idiotic, one-sided opinions
You sure are reading a lot into my opinion. I have nothing negative to say about Atlas, and what I did say was straight from their own website. If the truth bothers you, I suggest growing a thicker skin.

I own a lot of different 2011s and 1911s and while I happen to like a lot of what SV does, I'm not going to claim that they're the only outfit who can build a good gun. My point was to highlight the difference between the shops for those who may be new to the platform, not engage in name calling.
__________________
http://www.guntechtips.com
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-12-2017, 11:29 PM
rjinaz85308 rjinaz85308 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Phoenix,AZ
Posts: 2,505
not sure if Atlas offers this or if it is of any concern to the OP, but is a interchangeable breach face available?

I will say I sure like my SVI even if it is a franken gun (slide and frame each from two different guns)
__________________
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American GI.
One died for your soul; the other for your freedom..

We should be thankful to both
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-13-2017, 03:57 AM
combat auto combat auto is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaCleanCab View Post
I have an l custom built atlas idpa gun with an aluminum grip. Its the most accurate gun I own by far. I shot optics nationals in a squad with sponsored shooters one from atlas and one from SVI. The svi gun had a bunch of malfunctions and I do not recall the stale hun having any. The top shooters in my area are going atlas. They may not have been around long but their service is awesome. I got a full custom gun in 11 weeks. Svi may have a better brand awareness but Atlas guns will run.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good input, but hard to come up with any conclusion though based on a single anecdotal event comparing one malfunctioning SVI to one fine-functioning Atlas at one "instant" in time. (or perhaps a 3 hour instant over the match time;-)). There isn't a 1911ish pistol manufacturer on the planet who doesn't have issues with their guns (sometimes). What counts are trends. From my research the SVI-quality-trend is in the top-tier. Not sure there is enough "data" out there on Atlas yet to draw any long-term conclusions. They seem to be on the right path though, but also sport a hefty price tag to go along with it just like the other "major's".

But it is all good, having choice of fine 2011 manufactures is good for us, and competition generally makes each contending manufacturer "better" over time, even if only at the margins, and weeds out (any) of the weak and inefficient contenders (eventually). Hopefully, Atlas, and who knows, unknown at this time additional new vendor's will continue to be around for many, many, years as another option in this space.
__________________
"To be born free is an accident. To live free is a responsibility. To die free is an obligation."-General Halley, USMC
"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." ľUlysses
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 06-13-2017 at 04:12 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-13-2017, 08:47 AM
BRJACKET BRJACKET is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 93
Thanks for all the response and insight. I didn't mean to stir up any controversy. I have never held or shot either but have read as much as I can on both companies. It sounds like SV is still maintaining the high level of excellence they are known for. They definitely have the proven track record. I am glad to hear that their customer service is considered to be so good.

My impression of Atlas so far is that they are a young company who is hungry to make a name for themselves. I have heard that they make a very high quality gun. They may not make the parts themselves but they pick from what they consider the best quality parts available including SV. They also give the buyer the ability to make a choice in these parts. They obviously do not have a long track record yet.

I appreciate the differentiation of apples and oranges. That is the type of feedback I am looking for. Plus I appreciate the conviction of the Atlas owners. It says a lot that you believe in this gun having used it. I want to learn as much as I can about strengths and weaknesses of both.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-13-2017, 02:41 PM
dflat57 dflat57 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: North East
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_mays View Post
You sure are reading a lot into my opinion. I have nothing negative to say about Atlas, and what I did say was straight from their own website. If the truth bothers you, I suggest growing a thicker skin.

I own a lot of different 2011s and 1911s and while I happen to like a lot of what SV does, I'm not going to claim that they're the only outfit who can build a good gun. My point was to highlight the difference between the shops for those who may be new to the platform, not engage in name calling.
I am very thick skinned. And that's not the truth about the actual product. For all we know Sig Sauer, SVI, Ruger....... Any company can go out of business at any time. That has no bearing on the actually custom work. Did Dawson acquire the rights to a great gun manufacture recently?? That gun is still top notch quality. There was not truth in your opinion, just a way off, close minded one.

In your world nobody should buy anything from new companies except the ones with years in. We should never try another phone or laptop because Apple has done it the best and every body else is waiting to fill bankruptcy. I'd rather have thin skin than a closed mind
__________________
Enjoy life. Be kind.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-14-2017, 09:25 AM
MegaCleanCab MegaCleanCab is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sultan, WA
Posts: 141
Well I guess no one should buy a Tesla either.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-14-2017, 10:59 AM
ken_mays ken_mays is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Memphis TN
Age: 47
Posts: 3,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaCleanCab View Post
Well I guess no one should buy a Tesla either.
I can tell you I certainly wouldn't. Not at this point, at least.

But that's not a very good analogy. There is nothing wrong with buying an Atlas gun. At least you get the gun and there is little chance of it catching on fire like Teslas have been known to do. Worst case scenario, they go out of business and won't be able to do warranty work on it years down the road.

That is not a big risk for me because, as has already been stated, it's just a 2011 and there is no end of people who can work on them.

As long as Atlas continues to meet their stated quality and timetable goals, I would not steer anyone away from them.
__________________
http://www.guntechtips.com
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-14-2017, 12:52 PM
ozy ozy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_mays View Post
I can tell you I certainly wouldn't. Not at this point, at least.

But that's not a very good analogy. There is nothing wrong with buying an Atlas gun. At least you get the gun and there is little chance of it catching on fire like Teslas have been known to do. Worst case scenario, they go out of business and won't be able to do warranty work on it years down the road.

That is not a big risk for me because, as has already been stated, it's just a 2011 and there is no end of people who can work on them.

As long as Atlas continues to meet their stated quality and timetable goals, I would not steer anyone away from them.
my sentiments exactly. nothing specific against ATLAS or any other new comer 2011 builder-but the op wanted to know, in my estimation, whether there's an equivalency between atlas and svi. from my experience, there isn't.
__________________
SIGS? LOTS.
STI TACTICALS 3.0,4.0, 5.0 ;2x STI EAGLE 5.0;2x STI EDGE H/C;STI HEXTAC FDE;STI LEGEND;STI ESCORT;3x STI MARAUDER;STI APIERO;STI DVC LTD: ;DVC 3GUNS;LTD;WC PROTECTOR2;WC CLASSIC SUPERGRADE;WC CQB ELITE FDE;EB SF;
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-18-2017, 06:05 PM
mack22 mack22 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 3
I know Atlas offers an interchangeable breech face because I just watched one of his videos recently where he explained the value of it and demoed how to do a switch.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-19-2017, 02:45 AM
desmodromic desmodromic is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Manila Philippines aka wild west of asia
Posts: 232
I have no experience with atlas but I have been using the SVI for the past 6 months. All I can say is if you gauge each bullet that will go thru the SV, it will run perfectly. You must gauge each bullet, even new ones.

if there is a slight imperfection with the bullet, do not use it.
__________________
For defense Glock 21 and Berreta 92M9A1.
For collection purposes Les Baer Ultimate Master Combat and SVI infinity .40 cal. Wilson Combat Protector. Nighthawk Predator
In order : Edbrown SF 9mm(6-9 months), Ed Brown Classic Custpm . 2 SVI pistols, Wilson Combat Classic Supergrade , Cabot Jones Classic, UZI upp9sb auto
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:35 PM.


NOTICE TO USERS OF THIS SITE: By continuing to use this site, you certify that you have read and agree to abide by the Legal Terms of Use. All information, data, text or other materials ("Content") posted to this site by any users are the sole responsibility of those users. 1911Forum does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2015 1911Forum.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved