Cimarron Tanker Holster - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-02-2017, 07:42 PM

Cimarron Tanker Holster

I just picked this up and will give it try for a few days. Spent many years in the Marines and later in the Army National Guard wearing one as a CDAT and Tank Commander.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:20 PM

Nice! I've thought about trying this type for riding my UTV. The only experience I have with any shoulder rig is for large revolvers for hunting. These don't suit my needs tho.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howe.45ACP View Post
Nice! I've thought about trying this type for riding my UTV. The only experience I have with any shoulder rig is for large revolvers for hunting. These don't suit my needs tho.
It's more of a chest rig than actual under the shoulder rig. I want to try it for Corvette duty since it keeps the weapon up close and easy access to get the weapon out. My belt holsters are bothersome and not easy to pull out once I'm sucked down into my Corvette seats with safety harness or seat belts on. I have a couple of different Corvettes one wild, one mild(stock) so I want to be able to reach and draw with ease. This tanker holster is what I used for years in the military getting in and out of my Tanks.

Old 02-05-2017, 06:30 AM

I can't wait till you get pulled over in your Corvette wearing that thing . Unless you're wearing a coat over it, the cop is either going to have his hand on his gun or greet you with, "Well, if it isn't General Patton" or both .
Old 02-05-2017, 08:42 AM

I wore one of these as a radio/teletype team chief (commo RATT 142) I don't think I'd care to wear it as a civilian.

Last edited by 4evrnbljns; 02-05-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:05 PM

Appears to be well made. As an owner, what do you think?
Old 02-05-2017, 08:06 PM

After 2 days, it isn't working out. The main problem is the across the shoulder strap tends to ride up next to my neck. Not pleasant to say the least for an all day thing. Going back to my belt holsters.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC Rick View Post
After 2 days, it isn't working out. The main problem is the across the shoulder strap tends to ride up next to my neck. Not pleasant to say the least for an all day thing. Going back to my belt holsters.
You could try a vest or jacket with a pistol pocket
Old 02-05-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC Rick View Post
After 2 days, it isn't working out. The main problem is the across the shoulder strap tends to ride up next to my neck.
I too spent many years as a tanker carrying a .45 in the version of this holster that had a chest strap. The shoulder strap came over the left shoulder only so didn't rub against the neck. Here's a link to the style of holster we used: http://adirondackleatherproducts.com/holstersa.html
Old 02-05-2017, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in Allentown View Post
I too spent many years as a tanker carrying a .45 in the version of this holster that had a chest strap. The shoulder strap came over the left shoulder only so didn't rub against the neck. Here's a link to the style of holster we used: http://adirondackleatherproducts.com/holstersa.html
The chest strap isn't built into this holster, effectively it's not even the same rigging, just the holster itself is the only similar piece. BIG FAIL if they intended to mimic the original. No matter, I can build the missing pieces and re-make the holster leather and metal work.

Just disappointed in Cimarron's product.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:23 AM

Well, after ordering the new hardware needed and 3/4" leather strap it's complete! It fits just great and looks like it was made this way originally.

Original,

Version 2.0 that mimics the M7 G.I. Issue holster,

Old 02-09-2017, 11:02 AM

I kept my shoulder holster and hip holster when I got out. I was a tanker for 20 years and can tell you for a fact that is not how they were worn. Take the clip and put it through the buckle on the shoulder. Wearing it like above would snag on things evaccing the tank, it also would mush anything in you breast pockets,,,,,,, like your cigarettes. I've only seen one movie where they wore them like tankers. In 86 they pretty much went to tactical vests and holsters. Most of us old timers kept our stuff attributed to the 1911a1; holsters, magazines, pouches, and spare parts. Many PSG's kept extra rounds and barrels just in case,,,,,,,,, Just for general information, normally only PSGs and above wore hip holsters, and the holster with the single loop (top picture above) is not a tanker's holster.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcderosa View Post
I kept my shoulder holster and hip holster when I got out. I was a tanker for 20 years and can tell you for a fact that is not how they were worn. Take the clip and put it through the buckle on the shoulder.
I need some help understanding what you're saying fellow tread head. In my experience the vertical strap looped over the left shoulder, the horizontal strap came around the back, across the chest, and clipped to the metal ring attached to the top of the holster. Did you guys do it differently?
Old 02-09-2017, 04:57 PM

Guys, you are talking about two different GI holsters here: the WWII type M3, with no lateral strap, and the later M7, which HAD the lateral strap as shown above.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:38 AM

My memory is all jacked up.....I can't even remember which shoulder the vertical strap went on. Did we (Tankers) use it placed over the right shoulder stretching across the chest down to the holster or on the left shoulder going straight down to the holster? I know the chest strap wrapped around the torso and came under the right armpit to clip on the top of the holster.

How much more difficult can I make this? I simple wanted to have a chest rig like (I thought) my tanker holster fit...yet after being out of tanks for 25 years I seem to have forgotten.
Oh well, maybe I should just use it as is and try different ways to strap the holster on.

I see the problem now...I was a CDAT... Really great at confusing things.

Last edited by SFC Rick; 02-10-2017 at 06:40 AM.
Old 06-17-2017, 12:41 AM

Just joined this forum, should have a long time ago. My wife and daughter just bought me a new Colt 1911 for Father's Day. They knew I have wanted one for years, I was a tanker in the Army for 8 years.....I was 19E, back on the old M60 A-3 so we carried the 1911 and the M3 .45 "grease gun" man, wish I could find one of those!! HAHA ANyhow, just saying hello and I am looking forward to future discussions!
Old 06-19-2017, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Tanker View Post
Just joined this forum, should have a long time ago. My wife and daughter just bought me a new Colt 1911 for Father's Day. They knew I have wanted one for years, I was a tanker in the Army for 8 years.....I was 19E, back on the old M60 A-3 so we carried the 1911 and the M3 .45 "grease gun" man, wish I could find one of those!! HAHA ANyhow, just saying hello and I am looking forward to future discussions!
Welcome fellow CDAT....Any of you guys ever graduate from that Master Tank Commanders course in Boise Idaho? I truly enjoyed that course and loved it.

Long time ago, I wonder if it even still operates today.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:41 AM

From this....

To this....

Old 06-19-2017, 10:14 AM

I use an excellent El Paso Saddlery version.

I'm an old tanker too.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTKILLER View Post
I use an excellent El Paso Saddlery version.

I'm an old tanker too.
I'm retired 17 years ago....19E & 19K40...

I'm an old hardcore M60A3 Tank Commander and only got that 19K40 designation completely by typo error when processing out. I'm pretty sure I'll never be thrown into a M1 anyway...can't squeeze into the turret hatch anymore.