1911Forum banner

Swinging trigger for the 1911

7K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  gary@r&g 
#1 ·
Years ago, someone made one. I remember Brownells selling it but they dropped it quite a while back. Anyone remember it?

I'm just curious to see some pics of it again.

Thanks
Brad

#6 ·
I saw a Guncraft pivoting single action trigger once. It tried to do the job just by building a new trigger with extra moving parts; no gun alterations. Not very effective.

There IS an outfit that pivots a trigger to the frame. That one gave a lot of leverage and was effective in giving a light trigger pull without cutting the sear engagement way down. I think that is what you get from APW as
"Install Roger's Mechanical Trigger System $351.00"

#9 ·
I had a gun with the Austin Behlert conversion. and it allowed a light trigger pull without having to cut the hammer hooks down or run a light sear spring engagement. I dropped in the original chip mccormick TI hammer and sear, which dropped in at 2.5 pounds in most guns, and it was spooky light with the behlert pivoting trigger.

#11 ·
Before the large supply of after market 1911 parts you had Colt parts and nothing else (when you could even get them).

No 'gunsmith fit' type parts were available.

Barrel feet were welded up and re-cut.
Link lengths other than 'nominal' were not even available unless you made them.

The pivoting trigger was an attempt to produce a reduced trigger pull without having to change the hammer-sear engagement.
Mechanical advantage was obtained by pivoting the trigger and making it into a lever to push the trigger bow.

With all the quality parts available and the wealth of knowledge about producing lighter but still safe trigger pulls it is no longer required.

#12 ·
Mechanical advantage was obtained by pivoting the trigger and making it into a lever to push the trigger bow.

Brickeye is quite right..; The mechanical advantage was the high point of the system, and it porduced a substantially better feel than the 1911 design. But, it required a fair amount of precise machining to install , making it a bit tough for the less equipped smith/machine shop..and soon disappeared.. I have the prints around some where. I need to dig them up..

Jerry

#14 ·
I still own an Austin Behlert Custom .45 that is cut down in the slide, and the grip. Then he did his double action magic with a swinging trigger. What a sweet trigger pull in both DA/SA. I have owned this piece for over 33 years. He really was a genius gunsmith!!

#15 ·
Swinging trigger.

Behlert didnt do a DA conversion. He sent many to Louis Seecamp for DA conversion then did his custom work on them. His pivoting trigger utilized a standard trigger cut short. The pivoting Trigger pivoted in front of the shortened standard. When pulled it created a mechanical advantage to lower the trigger pull to around 2.5 lbs.

Here is a couple pictures of Behlerts patented pivoting trigger. I currently have three in my Behlert collection. Below that is a Behlert Mini Combat 45 with LWS DA conversion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.