1911Forum banner

Best 1911 under $1000

3K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  deezulsmoke 
#1 ·
I am new to the forum and am currently trying to decide on a 1911 purchase. This will be within the next few months. I have owned a few 1911s in the past, but do not currently have one in the collection. Below are my requirements...

1. Must be a full-size, 5" barrel model
2. Steel Frame
3. No "schwarz" or similar system
4. Must cost less than $1000

This will primarily be used as a range gun and will occasionally be used in IDPA matches. Right now I am leaning toward either a Springfield Loaded or a Kimber (used, Series 1 variant). I eliminated the SW1911 because of its plunger system. I want simple design.

Recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

#13 ·
deezulsmoke said:
Colt 70 series, WWI repro, or Springfield Loaded, MC Operator, or TRP. All of the Kimbers have a Scwartz safety. And I would strongly suggest that you stay away from aluminum framed guns.
Series I Kimbers don't have the extra safety, which is why some of us like them. I also use a aluminum frame gun as my carry gun and know of no reason to stay away from them, as they are fine guns.

I missed the steel frame part, so I'd look at any full size Series I steel frame that has the features you want. See what's available and compare them - I think they're the best guns Kimber has made.

#14 ·
chuckshoun said:
I'm curious why you don't want the Kimber with the "schwarz" firing pin tetainer. Just curious, I'm not advocating it or trying to troll.
I used to work part-time in a local gun shop and was there when Kimber made the switch to the Series II. We actually had 2 different guns lock up on us while we were showing them to customers. I don't pretend to understand how the system works, but regardless of whether a gun is intended for self defense or not, I do not tolerate unreliable function. I would just prefer to stick with as simple a design as possible. The less that can go wrong, the less will go wrong.

#15 ·
In order of cost and desirability

1-Colt new series 70
2-Kimber Anniversary Custom
3-Kimber Custom Classic series I
4-SA Loaded--blued or parkerized

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong

-Chad

#18 ·
STI Trojan 5.0 for IDPA and Range

I own the following in 1911’s:

Non-Series II Kimber’s:
25th Anniversary (45)
Heritage Edition (45)
Custom CDP (45)
Pro CDP (45)

SA Loaded PX9151 (45)
Norinco 1911 (45)
STI Trojan 5.0 (9)

The STI is by far my favorite and most accurate, but it is in 9mm. STI is my IDPA ESP pistol and I use a Custom CDP for IDPA CDP. I would own a Trojan in 45, but I already have 6 1911 in .45 ACP and do not sell or trade good pistols, ever! I just get a bigger safe and a new girlfriend...

The non-series II Kimber’s were my previous top choices. It will be STI for a while with an STI Edge or an STI 2011 custom limited next on the list.

I also don’t need or want a firing pin safety or an external extractor on any of my 1911’s. I have intentionally avoided both and will continue to do so.

#20 ·
mxracer101 is right on about the STI Trojan. They can be had for about $960. I myself have custom pieces and have and do own Springfield 'Loaded' models. I have also owned a TRP Operator. The TRP Operator actually cost more money than the Trojan, but it not as nice as the Trojan.

#21 ·
Thanks for all the feedback

After a lot of research, and considering all your comments, I believe I have made my choice... now I need to save up the $$$.

And the winner is....

Springfield Armory 1911-A1 Loaded Full-Size in Black SS. Now THAT is a pretty gun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.