1911Forum banner

Best Ruger 10/22 setup?

12K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  Kent Dorfman 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm considering getting a Ruger 10/22 but want to set it up to be a tack driver.

Lock: Are there kits with upgraded parts in such as extended release, competition trigger, better extractor, etc. etc. etc.? What's the best money can buy?

Stock: Probably a hogue rubber stock. Maybe a Butler Creek.

Barrel: Not sure to go with the Ruger target bull barrel or the Butler Creek bull barrels.

Scope: Probably a Leupold compact rimfire scope.

Magazines: probably the Butler Creek star-clips.

Any opinions/ideas/suggestions?

------------------
Jeff More
Irvine, PRC
All your AR-15 are belong to us!

See less See more
#2 ·
Originally posted by Skunkabilly:
Hi,

I'm considering getting a Ruger 10/22 but want to set it up to be a tack driver.

Lock: Are there kits with upgraded parts in such as extended release, competition trigger, better extractor, etc. etc. etc.? What's the best money can buy?

Stock: Probably a hogue rubber stock. Maybe a Butler Creek.

Barrel: Not sure to go with the Ruger target bull barrel or the Butler Creek bull barrels.

Scope: Probably a Leupold compact rimfire scope.

Magazines: probably the Butler Creek star-clips.

Any opinions/ideas/suggestions?
The Ruger 10/22 is probably THE BEST platform for 22 Semi's when it comes to upgrades... The reality is that you can purchase a Match Trigger that costs more than the Stock Gun, but provides a trigger that is better than most Custom 1911's

If you're in a NFA free state, you might also consider many of the very fine Suppressed alternatives... An integral suppressed barrel is fairly cheap compared to the better Carbon Fiber Bull barrels, and makes for a nifty toy. If you want the serious Sub-MOA rimfire plinker, I'd be looking at a Wood Laminate stock that has been Hand Bedded for the Receiver/Barrel, with a Carbon Fiber Bull Barrel w/stainless insert.

In all seriousness though... Why? They don't have much power outside of 50 yards, and then, only for really SMALL rodents.

I'd be inclined to look at the .22 Winchester Magnum chambering in the 10/22. I don't think there were any 22 WMR Hi-Cap's made though, probably the only down side...

For the 10/22 though, the best Hi-Cap's are the ones with the Steel Lips. I've had many of the plastic ones crack over the years, I have had some drums give up too... It's sad that there aren't any new ones being made these days, the improved technologies would really have provided some very cool alternatives I am sure.

I was talking to someone yesterday about this... It's like the AW bans specifically targeted Centerfire rifles, and exempted Rimfire's. It's a shame they couldn't have done the same with Mag's.

Anyway, good luck...

#4 ·
Opinions on the 10/22 hmmm... I will TRY to make this short.

Turning a 10/22 into a tack driver brings up alot of questions.

1. Are you going to shoot only match ammo?
2. Are you going to hunt, plink, or carry this gun?
3. What kind of budget are we talking about.

My ideal 10/22 is a Stainless receiver, McMillan Stock, Ranch products extended Mag release, Volquarten automatic bolt release, Volquarten Max edge extractor, Volquarten TG2000, Clark Stainless bull barrel, Volquarten stabilization module. Well that's about it. With this setup my gun is shooting .11" groups @ 50 yards!!

The important things
1. Put in a good trigger, volquarten makes some nice drop in kits.
2. Use a good bull barrel, Shillen, Volquarten, and Clark are my three favorites. If you are going to plink or use non-match ammo go with the Clark, they have a special chamber that feeds more reliably.
3. Buy an extended mag release, they are just easier to use.
4. Buy a stock and have the rifle bedded properly.

I guess that is my advice. I would also check out. www.gunsmoke.com.

#5 ·
To add a bit more.

Mags... There are only two reliable choices that I have found. One, Butler Creek's Steel lips. And the rotary mags that Ruger makes. I own one 20 round BC Steel lips mag and three 10 round factory mags. I actually like the factory mags the best.

#6 ·
Originally posted by Kavall:
To add a bit more.

Mags... There are only two reliable choices that I have found. One, Butler Creek's Steel lips. And the rotary mags that Ruger makes. I own one 20 round BC Steel lips mag and three 10 round factory mags. I actually like the factory mags the best.
Ditto. I actually have a grocery bag full of Ram-Line, Eaton, and Butler Creek plastic 30- and 50- round mags just collecting a thick coat of dust. I bought them back during my reckless yoot' but never could get any of them to feed worth a damn. The Ram-Lines are the worst of the bunch, BTW.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

#7 ·
Tack driver right? The life of a gun is in two places. The barrel and the trigger. When building up two guns for the STC, here is what worked.

Douglas Barrels and Lilja barrels. 1 in 16 twist. Threaded on or the factory set up made no difference. Do not flute the barrel or put a brake on it. All you will do is induce stress in the barrel. Have your barrel cyro frozen after you have it installed and all done. The Bentz reamer works well with most ammo.

Triggers are ugly. The Jewell is the best but Arnold does not make them anymore. When you find them, expect to pay $200-225 for one. The Volquartsen isn’t bad, but it’s no Jewell.

Stocks aren’t as easy. McMillian's are great, Browns are a pain to bed, and the Hogues look cool.

Scopes, get the best you can possibly afford.

Ammo, get the best you can possibly afford.

Mags, factory or any other steel lipped mag. Most of the high caps are garbage.

Have fun. Before long you could have a $2000 10/22. If you want a pic of mine, email me and I will send you a snapshot.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

#8 ·
Eh, how much do you want to spend?

It would be easier if you had Volquartsen build you a gun straight out of their factory. Those guns are amazing. They have a new 10/22 barrel with some funky-looking "snake" fluting on it. I saw it at the NRA convention and it looked awesome.

Anyway, it depends upon how much you want to spend. I think it would be dumb, unless you plan to do competitions, to go out and buy a bunch of different components after getting a stock gun. Just have Volquartsen build you a new one. They're the best I've seen today with the 10/22.

themao

#9 ·
I'm talking the wife into another 10-22 for myself, and I dont care how much it winds up being as long as it gets done. I'll be leaning on you alls suggestions, as I want it set up for target/competition.

My 10-22 I have now I went the other direction with, (paramilitary?), fun gun.

Its set up with:

Stock barrel
Butler Creek Folding Stock (very good)
Ramline Handguard (For looks)
Extended Mag Release (like a mini-14's, works great!)
Williams Peep Sights (Excellant!)
Eagle Post Front Sight (Excellant!)
Flash Hider (For looks)
Eagle 30 round Mags (Work good, but factory is better!)

I just played around with different ammo brands until I found the best for my gun, and enjoy it as is.

TomFreeman, Howdy Neighbor!

#10 ·
Skunkabilly,
Like the others mentioned: How much do you want to spend? I have 650 bucks into mine and it definately meets my expectations. I bought the 10/22T (target model) with a bull barrel in stainless and a matching Leupold 3-9X40 scope with Leupold 1 piece base and rings. I can put all 10 shots into just under a half inch at 25 yds. That is with Winchester Power Points. I would probably cut the group size some by using match ammo. I bought mine to hunt with but if target is more your game then you will most likely want a scope with more power (as another poster mentioned don't skimp here because you can't shoot what you cannot see) a match trigger, and a match barrel. Let us know what you decide on and maybe post a pic when you are done with your project.
John

------------------

#12 ·
Dear Skunkability,

If it were me I'd purchase the target model and shoot a few thousand rounds first. Perhaps it will have all the accuracy you want out of the box and you can save a little money.

As for the scope my choice would be one made for centerfire rifles. They are built much stronger than the .22 models and this should be a plus if your gun should ever fall and hit the ground hard.

In closing, for tack driver accuracy, stick with the .22LR. The magnum would cost you excessively for ammo and it will never match it's shorter cousin's accuracy. Stay safe, Gary

#14 ·
I took the KISS method of getting a good shooting .22. Bought a 10/22T. Sent it to Randy at CPC (Connecticut Preceision Chambering) and had him do is tune for $ 200.00. Put a Swift 4x12x40mm scope on top and get 1/2" groups@ 50yds with Eley Subsonic HP's. No complaints here and kept cost to a min.

However, in all reality, I get 1/2" groups with this ammo out of my old Win 9422. Even with its heavy, creepy trigger and a cheap Charles Daily 4x scope!

#15 ·
Took a good shooting 10/22 and sent it to AWC and had it suppresed..Looks like a target model and shoots like one also with ww 22lr hp ammo..AWCs suppressor takes the ammo down to subsonic and th old 3X burrris scope seems to be all I need for field conditions..This is the cats ass squirrel set up!!

#16 ·
My personal setup:

Zero laminated stock
Volquartsen carbon fiber barrel
Volquartsen internals (trigger, hammer, and sear)
Volquartsen extended mag release
Weaver scope base

Now the scope on this is something else...my roommate purchased it while stationed in Korea as a scope for his air rifle, but it works great on my 10/22. The only marking on it is the word "PLASMA" towards the ocular side of the scope. Factory target knobs, adj. obj., 4x32, awesome optical clarity, duplex reticle. If someone can tell me ANYTHING about this scope, it would answer a lot of questions.

Oh yeah, and the rifle was put together by SSG Dexter Conrad, armorer for the USMC Marksmanship Unit. Got it for under $700, and it puts one ragged hole in a nickel-sized target all day.

Yeah, I'm happy with it.

------------------
GO ARMY!!!
BEAT NAVY!!!

#18 ·
My personal setup:

Zero laminated stock
Volquartsen carbon fiber barrel
Volquartsen internals (trigger, hammer, and sear)
Volquartsen extended mag release
Weaver scope base

Now the scope on this is something else...my roommate purchased it while stationed in Korea as a scope for his air rifle, but it works great on my 10/22. The only marking on it is the word "PLASMA" towards the ocular side of the scope. Factory target knobs, adj. obj., 4x32, awesome optical clarity, duplex reticle. If someone can tell me ANYTHING about this scope, it would answer a lot of questions.

Oh yeah, and the rifle was put together by SSG Dexter Conrad, armorer for the USMC Marksmanship Unit. Got it for under $700, and it puts one ragged hole in a nickel-sized target all day.

Yeah, I'm happy with it.

------------------
GO ARMY!!!
BEAT NAVY!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.